Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Different Kind of Phone

This Father’s Day will be a different experience for me. For most of my life, I’ve been able to either wish in person or on the phone a Happy Father’s Day to my dad. This year, I won’t have to look for his number on a contact list or make sure I have good cell signal. I’ll be using a new model of communication. This one is lightning fast, lightweight, highly reliable and always has a good signal. This year, I get to use a very dependable courier to deliver my message. I’ll pray. Granted the transmission of my signal will be much faster, stronger and more efficient than my reception of Dad’s response. But, the response will be there. I’ll just have to listen a little closer and feel the response with my heart instead of hearing it with my ears. I do long for the old way because it was something I had grown accustomed to over the years. But as time and life march ever onward, I am forced to give up the old technology for the new. It’s going to be very hard to get used to, but I have faith and confidence and that makes the new change just a little bit easier. I love my dad, he is forever with me not only as my namesake but woven into every part of who I am today. I know my sisters and brothers as well as many others will have to make this adjustment as well to this new communication method. It will be easier for some than for others, but it will work just as effectively. As a father myself, I am immensely honored that God has blessed me with that privilege and honor to be a father. My hope, my goal and my dream is to be able to pass on to my children that which my father has passed on to me which is in the words of George Strait, “Love Without End, Amen”.
I Love You Dad. - Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment